Friday, October 10, 2008

Hampton Hawes - The Trio Vols 1 - 3 (1955-56)



Hampton Hawes' amazing string of trio albums recorded between June 1955 and Jan. 1956 superbly accompanied by Red Mitchell on bass and Chuck Thompson on drums.



Lovingly recorded by Contemporary Records' Lester Koenig and his recording engineer Roy DuNann (the West Coast equivalent of Rudy Van Gelder) employing state-of-the-art techniques and defining the sound of the day - crisp, clear and balanced.




In the video that follows, we can cherish the magic of Hampton Hawes in an all - star quartet setting with Bob Cooper on tenor sax, Ray Brown on bass and Shelly Manne on drums at the latter's famous jazz club Shelly's Manne Hole in California circa 1970.



This is jazz of the highest order (in luscious FLAC), enjoy!

6 comments:

neil said...

Respect for spreading the word about Hampton!

Anonymous said...

Hi

thank you very much for all your great music !

thanks a lot..

pedro

roberto t. said...

I've never seen so much Hawes on a single day, not even in any store around the world. These three trios should be much more considered, they are wonderful. This is a rare gift, one million thanks!

BigD said...

Totally phenomenal!!!! I am so excited. I had these CDs but lost them in Hurricane Katrina. Thank you so much for giving me a chance to listen to Hampton again.

Anonymous said...

fantastic, many thanks!

Neroon001 said...

I remember the first time that I heard Hampton Hawes it was at work I worked the night shift at a school at the time and was listening to WBGO out of Newark NJ the dj was James Brown ( best jazz dj that I ever had the pleasure to listen to) and he played a record with HH and Cecil McBee can't remember the drummers name but I was floored I just took a seat and listened such beautiful sounds coming out of that little radio,next day went looking for the album could not find it but bought the one of his that was there.Since I never had a chance to see him live this video will have to sufice and thank you very much for the albums and the video.